It's kind of hilarious and slightly embarrassing, just like my childhood. Thankfully she's only telling MY family- who all know how "funny" she can be. We didn't necessarily want monetary gifts over actual gifts, but who would complain?!
I know there are more tactful ways to ask for money so I assembled some here for the frugal bride...
- 'They are registered at [store name], but they are really trying to save up money for their [honeymoon/house].'
- Some websites suggest creating a small registry or not registering at all.
- You could create a Honeymoon Registry
- , but I'd also suggest creating a real gift registry for your guests who prefer to give you gifts- because they will still buy you something.
- There's always a poem on the website (via Wedaholic.com) "If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way. A gift of cash towards our house, would really make our day. However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way."